This Creamy Basil Pasta is the perfect comfort food for fall and winter! It’s so incredibly gooey, creamy and delicious that you’ll never guess it contains zero milk or cheese. The sauce gets its “cheesy” flavor from nutritional yeast and its creamy consistency from cashews. Nutritional yeast is a great source of complete protein and B vitamins, while cashews provide a plethora of important minerals like iron and magnesium. These ingredients pack a flavorful, nutritious punch without all the saturated fats and lactose typically contained in a creamy pasta like this. Enjoy!
- 4 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/3 c. Pinot Grigio (or your favorite dry white wine)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. Arrowroot starch (or cornstarch if you can’t find it)
- 2 c. Cashew Milk
- 1 large handful basil leaves
- 5 Tbsp. Nutritional yeast
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup Vegan Parmesan
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 12 oz.pasta of choice (I use Bionaturae’s GF fusilli pasta)
- First, get some water boiling and salted to cook your pasta – cook according to the instructions on the package, drain, and set aside for later
- Steam the frozen peas according to the package instructions
- If you haven’t previously made your Vegan Parmesan Cheese, make that now and set aside for later
- Get started on the “cream” sauce by heating a large rimmed skillet over medium heat and adding the oil – once the oil heats up, add your chopped garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes, until slightly golden-brown
- Add the wine – stir and saute for ~ 3 minutes or until the amount of wine in the skillet is reduced by half
- Next, add the cherry tomatoes and crush slightly with the back of your spoon to release juices – saute for about 2 more minutes
- Then, add the arrowroot starch and whisk into the liquid – don’t worry that this mixture is clumpy, you will blend it all together later!
- Now add the Cashew Milk and keep whisking for about 2 minutes – transfer this mixture to a blender
- Add basil, nutritional yeast, salt & pepper to the mixture in the blender and blend until the mixture is smooth and creamy – taste the sauce and adjust seasonings to your liking
- Transfer sauce back to skillet and allow to thicken for a few minutes over low heat – once the desired consistency is reached, add the cooked pasta and peas
- Viola! Pasta is served – top with vegan parm for extra cheesiness and indulge!