THE ultimate comfort food – mashed potatoes! This is my favorite side at Thanksgiving, and really any other meal. This recipe is completely dairy-free and still incredibly creamy. It’s delicious served under our Mushroom Gravy, and be sure to pair it with Sourdough Stuffing and Cranberry Sauce for a holiday feast!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 3 lb. gold potatoes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 Tbsp Earth Balance butter
- Soak cashews for 2-3 hours in cold water
- Boil large pot of water and add cubed potatoes – boil for 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft
- While potatoes boil, add three unpeeled cloves of garlic to dry skillet over medium heat. Toss until garlic’s sides are brown – about 15 minutes – Remove skins and set aside
- To make the garlic cream – combine cashews, water, peeled garlic, and salt & pepper (to taste) in blender – blend until smooth and creamy – set aside
- When potatoes are soft, drain and add to a mixing bowl along with salt & pepper (to taste) – use a potato masher or electric hand mixer to mash the potatoes
- Slowly add the garlic cream until desired consistency is reached
- Serve immediately under Mushroom Gravy – enjoy!